20/08/2015

Enjoy been what you are....

Enjoy been what you are....
            Fear of social judgment wears many masks: shame, shyness, etiquette, prudence, perfectionism. Whatever form it comes in, its impact is to limit, to constrain, to constrict.

People who fear social judgment miss out on much of life. Across the room they see what could be the person of their dreams, but they don’t approach because of what a roomful of strangers might think if they’re rejected. By caring what these strangers think, they’re allowing people they’ll never see again to control their behaviour.

As I was reading my bible this week, I came across this passage from the Book of Judges; it gives us an opportunity to meditate about living and enjoying ourselves rather than dreaming to live on other's lives and opinions:

            (1 Jgs 9:6-15) "....Once the trees went to anoint a king over themselves. So they said to the olive tree, ‘Reign over us.’ But the olive tree answered them, ‘Must I give up my rich oil, whereby men and gods are honoured, and go to wave over the trees?’ Then the trees said to the fig tree, ‘Come; you reign over us!’ But the fig tree answered them,
‘Must I give up my sweetness and my good fruit, and go to wave over the trees?’ Then the trees said to the vine, ‘Come you, and reign over us.’ But the vine answered them,
‘Must I give up my wine that cheers gods and men, and go to wave over the trees?’ Then all the trees said to the buckthorn, ‘Come; you reign over us!’ But the buckthorn replied to the trees, ‘If you wish to anoint me king over you in good faith,
come and take refuge in my shadow. Otherwise, let fire come from the buckthorn and devour the cedars of Lebanon.’”

            As says my old friend in motivation, Myles Munroe, “When purpose is not known, abuse is inevitable”; know your purpose in life - be the olive tree, the fig and the vine; don't be the buckthorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comentário (Comment)!

“On Death and Dying“

The idea of death makes one aware of one's life, one's vital being – that which is impermanent and will one day end.   When ...